Today we had our practice drills for the final exercise tomorrow. The exercise took place on a 1 mile stretch of the training area. We drove in a convoy of 8 humvees and encountered different scenarios in a mock town about midway. We were in full battle gear, but it was pretty bearable because there is some a/c in the vehicle and we were sitting most of the time. The scenarios ranged from actors playing locals simply waving at us, to rifle fire, to IED's that disabled vehicle where we had to return fire - pull security - hook up a tow strap - move to a safe area - stick the casualty with a needle and IV - request medivac - set up a landing zone - move out. We completed 8 different scenarios successfully. I was fortunate to successfully lead 2 of them. Unlike many of the recent familiarization training exercises that I have muddled through - this experience was actually a success and ended up improving my confidence tactically (though I will most likely never do this again).
Today I got to interact with alot of folks from the team going to Iraq. They are a great group and I was happy that I got the chance to work with them. It just reminds me again that my military experience overall has benefited me most by the people that you get to meet, talk with and know. Our team has really bonded with the the FET team headed to Bagram Afghanistan. It amazes me how well we all got along just a few days after meeting each other. My friend Pete attributes it to the fact that we are all quality people with commonality as far as the military and mission goes. Whatever it is, I count myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know them over the past 3 weeks.
Tomorrow is the final exercise. We are told that it will be the most nightmarish 2 mile convoy ever. We will drive along a stretch of road and be hit with all 8 scenarios. I feel more confident that we will be successful after today. Saturday I turn in my IBA (individual body armor) and a few other things that I will be happy to part with until I arrive in theater.
Team is still doing well and looking forward to being done with this phase.
Until next time........
Tax History and Income Spread
14 years ago